Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A Little Sunshine Everyday


The weather in this part of British Columbia is unruly and unpredictable! A few days ago, I was sporting a tank top as I loaded up the Landcruiser to take my kids and their friend Ava for a day at Heritage Park. Sunday and Monday brought POURING rain, so much that major intersections throughout the lower mainland were flooded, traffic detoured in all directions. And today is drab and dreary-feeling, the sky gray with a hovering breeze, just enough to create an eery silence and chill.

On days like today, I turn on my brightest light in the kitchen, light a few candles and crank up Bob Marley. I open all the curtains, dress in bright colours, and light frakincense and myrhh to enliven the stale air with a warm-spicy aroma. Baking something yummy first thing in the morning helps. I've been enjoying the Blueberry Bounty Buns from the cookbook Vive Le Vegan! Even though we are not Vegan, I enjoy cooking a lot of Vegan/Vegetarian meals. And since my husband is extremely allergic to Dairy, I find a lot of great recipes from these sources.

Thankfully, my daughter loves rainy days. We spend time cuddled up with books in the morning until the embracing heat from our woodstove rises through the floorboards and warms our toes. She loves to have a rainy day tea party, dance to music, help me with indoor household tasks. In general, she has a very sunny personality and thinks everything is a party. I really believe God knew I needed her in my life; she is my sunshine on these dreary coastal days.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow--sounds like my kind of morning!! 'Cept I would use Nag Champa...

L.L. Barkat said...

wonderful how you make the world wonder full, even when you feel grey

Anonymous said...

Have you ever read any of Lucy Maud Montgomery's books? I love the pictures you paint with words....similar to the way she does!

Josh and ReiRei send kisses and hugs to Ally and Solo.

Rach said...

As your sunny days increase ours are getting shorter.....I'll remember this post in the middle of winter, which will be here before we know it!