Friday, September 07, 2007

Four Going on Fourteen


Our big girl is a whoppin four! Her big request was to have her first pony ride. We arranged for an hour-long ride on Angie, one of the ponies at Matsqui Stables. Alley loved it! She wanted to trot the entire time. It was a family effort as mom, dad, grandma, grandpa and auntie took turns leading (RUNNING!) Angie by the rope, around and around the corral.


"Mommy, on my next birthday, will I be fourteen?" I chuckled at the irony of such a question. My husband and I frequently joke that we already have a teenager. Our girl is emotional and witty and full of sass and sometimes we slap our heads in amazement, wondering how we will weather her true teenage years.



Alethea has been talking about getting married. She wants to marry me, somedays she's happy to marry her brother. Other times she asks her dad when they can get married. We try to explain the natural order of things, that sisters don't marry brothers, and that mommy and daddy are already married to eachother, which means we won't marry anyone else.



So, the other night at dinner, my husband asked "Alley? Do you want to fall in love and get married someday?" Without hesitation, she answered, "Yes, Please! Who?"


And so it goes! Needless to say, we have our work cut out for us. I suppose now we should work on an arranged marriage!


We are delighted with our girl. She is full of love and spunk and vinegar and we treasure these days when we still have her in our home. She's like a year-round fireworks display, bringing lots and lots of spark.


3 comments:

Rach said...

I have a charming if somewhat lazy six year old - and he's even a boy. Arranged marriages are good - you sort out some of the sass, I'll tech mine to work a bit harder and we'll talk again in fifteen years eh!

MamaMonk said...

I bet he IS a charmer! Let's talk:)

Meghan said...

Kel,
I simply have to respond:) I think we should discuss the possibility of Josh and ally's nuptials...lol...after that cute little kiss today... made me wonder?hope?...cheers! to the future!